Monday 17 October 2011

Unique Gems

Hi Everyone,

Today I would like to talk about unique gems.  What are unique gems?  What is it about them that makes them unique?  Would they also fall under the category of rare gems?  I find it fascinating to learn new ideas and things about gemstones.  I find that it is fun to search the web to see what other people have found out and to use their knowledge to learn about one of my favourite topics which is gems and jewellery.  I would like for you to join me on this journey of discovery and I hope you will learn as much as I do in the course of this blog.

Let us look at the first question which is, what are unique gems.  Some of the most unique gems that I have come across are Ammolite which is a gemstone made from ammonites.  I also think that ametrine is very unique in the fact that it is made up of both amethyst and citrine.  There is also colour as a factor in making a gem unique.  For example a blue spinel or a red diamond.  These colours would be extremely rare and unique for that type of gem.  A red emerald would also be considered very unique and rare as well.

What is it about these gems that make them unique?  Well one could say that the rare colour would make certain gems unique like the previous examples.  What about a certain ability?  For example, Alexandrite would be very unique in that it changes colour under certain light conditions.  There is also the colour change garnet that does a very similar thing.  It too changes colour under certain light conditions.  I would consider that ability to change colour to be an unique ability for a gem to have.

Does the uniqueness of a gem make it rare?  I would say that in most cases when something is unique it does make it rare.  There are exceptions of course to every rule.  I said above that ametrine is unique but it is not really rare in terms of scarcity.  There are many gems out there that are both rare and unique.  There does seem to be a correlation between colour and uniqueness.  Like the examples given above.  The primary thing that makes the gem both unique and rare is the colour.  The more difficult it is to find a diamond in a red colour makes it rare and valuable.  The blue spinel is also very rare and valuable.

I hope this brief look at unique gems has brought you some new insight into the world of unique gems.  I had fun learning about the different and interesting gems and the unique abilities some gems have.  I hope everyone had as much fun as I did in the researching and looking on the web.  Until next time, I hope you will drop me a post and let me know what you thought about this blog.  I would enjoy hearing from you.

The rare gem lady.

No comments:

Post a Comment